Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Somthing has changed in me recently. I had origannaly entered Korean with very hars criticism and critical observations of what I thought could be different and improved. I have been critical of consumption, gender roles, and individuality in society. These are still important subject to me, however I feel differently now then I did before. Having had dinner with a Korean family and seeing each generation at the table leading from the end of WWII around me was very humbling. The most powerful moment was when I heard the grandmother share some of her expereince with me. She spoke in Japanese at times, which is a result from imperial occupation. Also she has brothers and sister who she doesn't even know whether or not are still living or not in North Korea. I realized that the issues and conflict for Korea are still very fresh, and many things have not been resolved. I can't imagine the devastation the country had been in before modernization. Now perpsective has shifted to that of a more moderate perspective, "I can't judge them or blame them, if was in the position they were in I would be tying very hard to everything I could too, to change my situation." They havejust started to break away from a difficult past and experience with thier neighbors. I withhold my judgment, they still working everything out.

No comments:

Post a Comment